Lakeview WellnessThe Lakeview Wellness Team has joined with our local Hy-Vee Dietician, Katie Koerner, to bring you healthy monthly recipes for kids and adults.
Sizzled Green Beans with Crispy Prosciutto and Pine Nuts
Serves: 8 (3/4 cup = 1 serving)
All you need:
2 pounds green beans, trimmed
2 ½ tsp Hy-Vee Select extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced and cut into ribbons
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh sage
¼ tsp salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup toasted pine nuts*
1 ½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
All you do:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add beans, return to a boil and simmer until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
2. Heat ½ tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook, stirring, until crispy, 4-5 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
3. Wipe out the pan; heat remaining 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Add the beans, garlic, sage 1/8 tsp salt and several grinds of black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are browned in places, 3-4 minutes. Stir in pine nuts, lemon zest and the prosciutto. Season with lemon juice, the remaining 1/8 tsp salt and pepper.
*Any toasted nut desired may be substituted for the pine nuts.
Source: adapted from www.eatingwell.com
Nutrition Facts per serving: 100 calories, 5 gm fat (1 gm saturated, 2 gm monounsaturated), 6 mg cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm fiber, 5 gm protein, 264mg sodium
Serves: 30 (1 each)
Source: adapted from Eating Well, Inc.
All you need:
1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
4 clementines, at room temperature, peeled and sectioned
1 tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
All you do:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper.
2. Place chocolate chips in a small glass bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving in 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval. (Alternatively, melt in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water.)
3. Dip half to two-thirds of each clementine section into the melted chocolate. Let the excess drip back into the bowl. Place the dipped fruit on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle crystallized ginger over the chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
4. To make ahead: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 18, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrate: 3g, Protein: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Saturated Fat: 0g, Dietary Fiber: 0g, Sodium: 0mg